It's Wedge Wednesdays and this week I went for something entirely different!
Cashew-Ginger Vegetables & Quinoa
To make this dish a complete meal, add cooked chicken, pork or tofu to the vegetables before serving. I had mine with grilled turkey on the side and some of the optional scallions over the top--Yum!
1. Cook the quinoa in the water with a pinch of salt. Don't stir while cooking!
2. While the quinoa cooks, heat the butter in a small saucepan until melted. Add the ginger and cook until golden, about 3 minutes.
3. Steam the broccoli and carrots until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
4. When the quinoa is done, stir in the cashews.
5. Arrange the cooked quinoa on plates and spread the vegetables on top of it. Spoon ginger butter over everything.
Garnish with scallions, IF using.
This was an easy recipe to prepare!! I think it can easily be done as a single person, which I am, but I had my good friend Jason with me tonight helping me out and eating the goods when we were through! So, while I chopped and steamed he was working on the ginger butter, which turned out to be the trickiest part of the whole dish.
It says cook until golden, 3 min on the recipe. I would say after the butter is melted, add the ginger and then simmer for 3 minutes. It may not LOOK golden at that point, but it will continue to simmer and cook even after you remove it from the heat. Our ginger turned out to be a lot like those fried onions you top casseroles with...good, but not what they were going for! STILL, it was a wonderful zing and addition to the dish!
Ginger is always a favorite!