Friday, November 26, 2010
I have a Costco membership. It's true.
ACTUALLY what's true is that my Dad put me on his--thanks Dad!
Costco MAY be my new favorite place. Not only are their cheap, fresh groceries, but I walked in, got a slice of pizza the size of my head so I wouldn't buy out of hunger and it was $2.00!
Here I am in my weird, retro knit cap that I LOVE. I am excited to go see the produce and trail mix. It's my idea of a FUN night...
I'm a single gal, I can't eat a 45 ounce tub of ranch dressing in a week, or a rack of lamb for Sunday brunch, so I always wrote off Costco as a place that I could shop. Well, guess again. I didn't get a lot of things, but what I got will last me and I will use.
Check these deals:
$10.00 for 50+ packets of instant oatmeal. That is over a months worth of no brainer breakfasts to be had. I need that kind of help with planning!
But all in all, here is what I came home with:
1 pound of baby spinach
18 pack of Thomas Multi-grain english muffins
1 Bunch Banana's
26 ounces MaraNatha Almond Butter
3lb bag of Fruit and nut mix
Hefty fruit and nut mix I may add--it's impressive AND YUMMY!
SINGLE Person shopping tips at Mega-stores:
1) Buy things you can freeze-I can freeze the spinach and the english muffins for later use! More than one serving and still saving money.
2) Buy items that have more than one use. I can have spinach salads, use it in green monsters too. I can use the butter and banana's in green monsters too or put them on the english muffins. The fruit and nut mix can be a snack or on yogurt for breakfast. Multiple uses for all the items!
3) Buy generally and only what you like: for instance, I put a 3lb bag of pears back since I had the banana's. Chances are I couldn't have polished off both items before they went bad, so I chose one "general" fruit. One that I know I like and will eat daily.
4) Bring a friend. You can buy together and split up all the food halfsy's when you get home and have them pay you cash. You both get a deal and you still both get a lot of food. Plus shopping with a friend is always fun!
5) Don't go hungry! This is a good rule for any food shopping experience, but at a Costco, an impulse buy will cost you 10-15 dollars so be careful!
Do you shop at a Mega-store like Costco? What do you like about it? DON'T forget to sign up today for the Holiday Challenge, it's the last day!