- What are my talents, abilities and skills?
- What do I want to achieve? Why am I volunteering?
- What kind of work would I be good at and/or willing to learn?
- What type of organization or "cause" would I like to contribute to?
- How much time do I have to give? When am I available?
- How long a commitment am I willing to make?
- How far am I willing to travel? What are my transportation needs?
- What kind of environment would I prefer to work in? Indoors? Outdoors? Physical work? With other people or alone?
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Happy Wednesday everyone, mid-week, whew, it's flying by!
And that's not the ONLY thing flying, the snow is back in Minnesota and I am having to eat my words. I told at least 10 people it would NOT snow again for this season. What was I thinking, THIS is typical March weather.
I had SO much fun last weekend at the Team Ortho Get Lucky 7k as a volunteer!
It was relativly warm, espeically working and moving around. I LOVE working as a volunteer for races, that is how I got involved with Bolder Options as well.
It was a big race and there were a ton of great costumes--everyone in green and a few people really dressed up--leprichauns, girl scouts, it was FUN to see all the people!
Thanks to the volunteer coordinators too for all their hard work and organization. All I did was show up, check in, get a sweet vest and fill waters! THEY had been on site early, directing all of the volunteers, coordinating and being generally awesome.
It was a wonderful feeling to congratulate people as they came off the finish line. Seeing everyone's sweaty, red, happy faces was a reminder to me of how rewarding running can be. I mean how GOOD does it feel to have someone tell you you did your best and you are a rockstar....everyone wants to hear that and saying it makes us feel good too. Win Win.
Apparently the course was beautiful, downtown Minneapolis through the city!
Thanks Heather for recognizing me and saying hello! It was SO cool to meet you, nice work on your running!
Jason was there!
Wendi found me!
Melanie saw me and said hello!!
Tina rocked out her race!
Alexa is the running queen!
And Stacy (on the right) completed the Lucky 7k as her FIRST Race!!
There were SO many others there I didn't get pictures of: La, Guy, KG, Sean! Congrats to ALL the finishers!
1) Find something you enjoy or are passionate about and an organization you can get behind
2) Visit the organization and talk to the volunteer coordinator. Chances are there are a TON of things to do to volunteer outside of the norm
3) Carve out time to DO! Ask yourself these questions before you start:
What do you volunteer doing? What do you love about it?